Loaded full of summer vegetables this is more like a meal than a bread. I use Hatch chiles from New Mexico (these guys only come around once a year in August) and local bay area okra and corn. Oh and did I mention it’s gluten free?
Bennies from eating seasonally:
- Foods are at their highest level of taste and nutritional value.
- Better for the environment. Reduces the number of miles the food has traveled before hitting your table.
- The anticipation of waiting until things come into season keep your meals exciting.
- More economical. For you and for the small local farm you are supporting.
- It’s the way the cycle of nature intended. To eat foods that are cooling for your body during the summer and heartier and warming during in the winter.
Summer vegetable cornbread
- 10 each Hatch chiles , roasted, peeled, seeded & diced
- 2 Tablespoons Grapeseed oil
- 1 cup Yellow onion diced
- 1 cup Okra de-stemmed, sliced
- 2 ears Corn kernals
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- TT S&P
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 t Salt
- 1 teaspoon S&S brand BBQ spice rub or smoked paprika
- 1 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons raw honey
- 2 Tablespoons Butter , melted (grassfed)
- 2 cups Cheddar grated
Place a greased 9x13x3 baking dish in the oven and pre-heat it to 350 degrees.
Saute onion in grapeseed oil on medium heat until soft. Add the okra, corn and garlic. Sauté a couple minutes more, season with s&p, drain off acquired liquid and set aside to cool.
In a bowl combine cornmeal,
S&S brand BBQ spice rub
, baking soda & salt.
In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, eggs and honey. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and whisk until smooth. Fold in the melted butter, cheddar, vegetable mixture and chopped Hatch chiles.
Remove the hot baking dish from the oven, pour in the batter spreading it out evenly with a spatula. Return to the oven and bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Transfer baking dish to a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.
I like to garnish my bread with salsa and sour cream!