What is a Dukkah Seasoning?
Dukkah seasoning, sometimes spelled duqqa, is a combination of nuts and seeds flavored with herbs and spices that originated in Egypt.
It can be mixed with olive oil to dip your bread into (my personal fave), sprinkled on dips like hummus or used as a crunchy component on top of vegetables, grains, meats and salads.
It is a simple, strait forward way to add flavor, texture, protein and antioxidants to any dish.
Egyptian Dukkah Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Hazelnuts shelled, raw, blanched
- 1/4 cup Pistachios shelled, raw
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds or shelled raw almonds
- 2 teaspoons Pine nuts raw
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin seeds shelled, raw
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds white, raw
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds black, raw
- 1 teaspoon Oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint dried
- 1 teaspoon Maldon Salt or coarse sea salt
- 6 grinds Black pepper
Pre-heat oven 350 degrees.
Spread the hazelnuts, pistachios, almonds, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds out on to a sheet pan and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes until they are lightly brown and fragrant. Let cool.
In a small sauté pan toast the cumin, caraway, fennel seeds and black and white sesame seeds over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until they become fragrant. Let cool.
In a bowl mix together the toasted nuts, seeds, spices, herbs, salt and pepper.
Depending on the size of your mortar and pestle or food processor you may need to work in batches from here.
Place the mixture into the mortar and pound it down with the pestle. Use the pestle to mix and grind the mixture into a finely chopped consistency. You are not looking for a powder just chopped and consistent in size.
Need Marcona Almonds? Buy a "California Grown Marcona Almonds"
Need Dried Peppermint? Buy an "Organic Dried Peppermint Leaves (Mentha Piperita)"