If you want to wow your guests at your next get together, beet hummus. This healthy snack is vibrant in both taste and color and is sure to impress. Use it as a dip, place a scoop on top of salads or spread it in sandwiches or wraps.
Health Bennies –
- High in protein
- Vitamin C
- B vitamins
- High fiber
- Helps liver “detoxify” the body
- High in monounsaturated (healthy) fat
- High in antioxidants
Mediterranean Beet Hummus
- 1 each Red beet medium size
- 1 Tablespoon Grapeseed oil or other high heat oil
- 3 cloves Garlic peeled
- 1 can Chickpeas 15.5 oz.
- 1 Tablespoon Tahini
- 1 each Lemon juice
- 1.5 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Caraway ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Coriander ground
- 1/2 cups Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Hemp seeds hulled
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin seeds shelled
- 6 sprigs Dill chopped
For the beets
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Drizzle beet with grapeseed oil, wrap it in foil and roast in oven for 1 1/2 hours until tender.
Unwrap beet and let cool.
Peel and and discard the skin. Cut into a large dice.
For the hummus
Chop the garlic in a food processor.
Add the diced beet, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, salt, pepper and spices. Puree until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
While the food processor is running slowly drizzle in the EVOO followed by 2 Tablespoons of water. Let machine run as long as it needs to in order to create a smooth puree.
Adjust seasonings as necessary.
Place hummus in a medium bowl and top with garnishes and a drizzle of EVOO.
Need Tahini? Try the "Ziyad Tahini Sesame Sauce".
Need Hemp seeds? Try the "Nutiva Organic Hempseed"
Need Pumpkin seeds? Try the "Now Foods Organic Pumpkin Seeds"