I do a lot with beans these days. They are so rich in nutrients and protein that its sort of a no brainer. You can eat them cold, hot, pureed, in salads, in soups, as a side dish, in chili… I’ve even made cakes with them (no s%*t!). Three bean salad is one of my boyfriend’s favorites. Coming from the days his Mom used to open 3 different cans of beans and dump Italian dressing all over them, I have taken that basic idea here and just juiced it up a bit. Most importantly I removed all the sugar (that you get out of bottled Italian dressing) and added some fresh raw vegetables and herbs. Make it ahead of time, store it in the fridge and snack on it all week.
Not your boring 3 bean salad
- 1 can Garbanzo beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can Black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can Kidney beans drained & rinsed
- 1 each Red bell pepper small diced
- 2 each Scallions sliced thin
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro chopped
- 1 each Red beet peeled, sliced thin & cut into matchsticks (julienned)
- 1-2 each Carrots peeled, sliced thin & cut into matchsticks (julienned)
- TT S&P
- TT Red wine vinegar
- TT EVOO (or even better yet flax oil !)
In a large bowl combine all three beans, bell pepper, scallions and cilantro. Season the mixture with S&P, a splash of red wine vinegar and EVOO. Toss thoroughly.
In a separate bowl combine the beets and carrots, season them with S&P, a splash of red wine vinegar and EVOO. Toss thoroughly.
To plate, place the bean mixture on a plate or in a bowl and garnish with a handful of beets and carrots.
Need flax oil? Try this!