Ever been to a day spa where they handed you a glass of water full of sliced lemon or cucumber? Remember how refreshing that was?
Herbal waters take seconds to make and they can brighten your mood in an instant. You don’t need a recipe, you can use whatever fresh herbs, citrus or fruit you have lying around.
Are you trying to get more glasses of water in everyday but the thought of a plain glass of water bores you? Maybe you are trying to ween yourself of soda or juice? Herbal water is a terrific substitution for that. And besides staying hydrated you get the added bonus of getting nutrients from the herbs.
So here’s what you do…
- Fill up a pitcher with filtered water.
- Add a handful of fresh herbs and/or sliced fresh fruit thats in season.
- Sip on it throughout the day.
- If you have leftovers at the end of the day refrigerate it and drink the rest the next day.
Here’s some combos that I enjoy…
- Mint & lemon
- Lemon verbena & nectarine
- Basil & berries
- Rose petals & lime
- Mint & pomegranate
- Basil & melon
- Rosemary & cherries
- Fennel fronds & orange
- Thyme & strawberries
- Basil & peach
- Great source of vitamins, minerals & flavonoids
- Healthy substitute for sugary sodas and juices
Sarah Burchard is the author of The Healthy Locavore, a natural foods chef and experience host whose writing focuses on cooking, holistic health, supporting community and eating locally grown and made foods.